Saturday, January 3, 2009

An Extraordinary Letter: John Miller's Return Home






















(These photos come to us from the South Pole from our USAP pen pal John Miller. The oldtime photo is of Roald Amundsen and his crew in 1912 at South Pole. John Miller is at the Amundsen-Scott "exact replica tent" in the second photo; he stayed overnight in that tent once in October 2008. That is his footprint in "The Ice."


Below is one of the most extraordinary letters I have ever read in my life. I just got it tonight in New Orleans from a man who a few weeks ago finished living about a year at the South Pole in Antarctica -- at the US Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. He is our SVDP-ALC school's pen pal John Miller. He talks about readjusting to life at home in Reno, Nevada with his wife, his children, and his pet dogs. But then he talks about Antarctica and what he learned there. It is absolutely stunning! His references to the early Antarctica explorers, Amundsen and Scott, are unforgettable. At the end of his letter, he addresses our students directly, as he has done many times before in his emails from South Pole. It is inspirational indeed. We were indeed privileged to have had John as our school's pen pal for so many months. But he is not going away! He will continue to write to our school about his life "on The Ice" and his new life back in the USA, and what he has learned from it all. Thanks again, John, for your outstanding commitment to education and living life to the fullest!
-- Adrian)


I'm sitting here at my computer, watching the snow pile up outside, and, of all things, wondering what the temperature is at the South Pole. After being home for all of three weeks, the year I spent at the Pole is taking on dream like qualities, even though parts of me are still adjusting to life once again in the northern hemisphere. Driving is still a pain (I'll take a snow mobile or LMC over a car any day of the week), TV seems worse now than when I left, and jobs are like hens teeth, only the hen has more.

It seems to be snowing harder now. Strange, these are the first snowflakes I have seen in more than a year. It's too cold to snow at the Pole. Ice crystals yes, snowflakes, no.
And as cold as the South Pole is, you don't get wet while walking around in the snow and track in mud after the snow melts (obviously the snow at the pole will not melt and any mud there is buried under more than 9000' of ice). The temperature at this moment is about 12 degrees Fahrenheit, and yet still seems comfortable to me when I am outside.

We actually had a white Christmas this year after about three inches fell Christmas day adding to the inch or so we had on the ground already. Even in Reno this happens only about once every 10 years or so.

This Christmas I once again enjoyed the opportunity of reading "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to kids of all ages at some of our local schools. Last year I was able to read the story to a room full of adults at the Pole, and I think they enjoyed it more than the kids!

Right now I'm trying to deal with returning to a normal life, in a normal place, and finding a normal job, right here in Reno. I've had a taste of adventure and it's hard to ignore the cravings of life without boundaries.

I can't help but think of the ease of our life here in America, or the South Pole, when compared to what Amundsen and Scott experienced on their trek to the Pole. My night in the tent was, well, very un-dramatic, un-romantic, and un-comfortable, especially when I discovered that I had forgotten to put my boots in my sleeping bag with me. I found out just how stiff boots can become when the temperature is -51. For me, this was nothing more than an inconvenience, and a fast walk back to a warm station. For either Amundsen or Scott, a small mistake could have meant the difference between life and death. Even so, Robert Falcon Scott died just 11 miles from food and shelter. In his journal Scott wrote "Great God! This is an awful place, and terrible enough for us to have laboured to it without the reward of priority". In his last entry he said: "It seems a pity, but I do not think that I can write more. R. Scott. For God's sake look after our people". On another page he scribbled, "Send this diary to my widow".

But he did write more. During his last moments, he found the strength to write twelve letters to friends and family. One he wrote to his wife Kathleen; and speaking of his son he said..."I had looked forward to helping you to bring him up, but it is a satisfaction to know that he will be safe with you...Make the boy interested in natural history if you can. It is better than games. They encourage it in some schools. I know you will keep him in the open air. Try to make him believe in a God, it is comforting...and guard him against indolence. Make him a strenuous man. I had to force myself into being strenuous, as you know--had always an inclination to be idle." Also, "I wasn't a very good husband but I hope I shall be a good memory...The inevitable must be faced, you urged me to be the leader of this party, and I know you felt it would be dangerous. I have taken my place throughout, haven't I?...What lots and lots I could tell you of this journey. How much better it has been than lounging about in too great comfort at home".

It is amazing to me that during his last moments, and facing death, Scott used what strength he had to write those letters. Instead of accepting the inevitable, he poured out his heart on paper, and left us all an example of living life to the fullest. Robert Falcon Scott believed in God, education, hard work, family, even if they were thousands of miles apart, and taking risks; forgoing the comforts of home, he died for what he believed. And I think we all are more like Scott than we can imagine; having to force ourselves into being "strenuous" whether towards work, learning, or family; knowing that life lived outside of the norm can be very rewarding; for some even better than "lounging about in too great comfort at home".

Robert Falcon Scott was an inspiration to me and I hope, in some small way, that I have inspired others. Being an ordinary person leading an ordinary life is probably the most difficult thing a person can accomplish.

Everyone of you is an example to me. I admire and respect you for your hard work, for overcoming tremendous odds, for what you have accomplished, and for what, one day, you will accomplish! Keep on dreaming, working hard, and learning!

Remember, "Ancora imparo"... I am still learning!

John

(Thanks again, John! John Miller was a member of the United States Antarctic Program as a "winter-over" during 2008. He has been our outstanding pen pal from The Ice since the Spring of 2008, and he was the first peson to contact our school directly from Antarctica. "Winter-overs" are USAP personnel who stay at the Pole during the Antarctic Winter when darkness reigns, the sun never rises, and temperatures can reach nearly -100 F. John and four other courageous Americans -- Leah Webster, Weeks Heist, Jason McDonald, and Calee Allen -- were our South Pole pen pals during the past Antarctic winter. Shandra Cordovano and Lisa Welfare were our pen pals at McMurdo Station. Thank you all for the extraordinary work you did and the help you gave to our school.
McMurdo is magnificant! The South Pole rules!!
--Adrian)

No comments: