Sunday, January 25, 2009

Civics Lesson: Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009


















(The photos are of SVDP-ALC students and staff at Inauguration Day.) At our school last week we observed an international TV news event which occurs once every four years in the USA and which sets our country apart from many other lands around the global -- the orderly and peaceful transfer of power in government based on the will of the people after an election. It was Inaugration Day. Sr. Lory asked the students to write down some of their comments about this event; they did, and we posted 10 of the comments here. The students were asked not to write down their names, just comments. This was a lesson for us all on how well our government works, without regard to one's personal views of politics or party affiliation. From the time of General George Washington until George W. Bush and Barack Obama, we can be thankful that in the USA we have always had presidential elections followed by Inauguration Days.
--Adrian)
Student Comments from SVDP-ALC:
1. This means to me that if you work hard at anything, it is possible. It gives me a lot of inspiration. I can see history in the making!
2. How do I feel this day? The feeling is super. In my opinion I think America needed a change.
3. I feel like it's a wonderful day that God has done it this time in history. It's about time. We the People are one, like God has made us. We are blessed we are here to see this in history.
4. Today is a day I thought I would never see happen in my lifetime... This is God's doing
5. I feel that having a black president will help this country be a better one for ALL people that are in this country.
6. I feel that the spirits of all our ancestors are smiling.
7. How do I feel about today, is that it's good... but I can't see what it's going to do for us, meaning me and my family...
8. Today means to me no more excuses, anything is possibe, anything can be accomplished...
9. I feel that today is a very special day for Barack Obama and his family. He is the first black to become President of the United States.
10. How do I feel about this day? Truly Blessed to witness God's mercy and grace... God Bless America!!

No comments: