Thursday, August 13, 2009

"The Long and Winding Road" Nears Its End




Well, folks, it's almost over now -- my two years of Literacy AmeriCorps at St. Vincent de Paul - ALC are almost done. I am happy to have done this, and sad that it will all be over soon. I will be posting my stories until Tuesday the 18th of August. Then, that's it. I will only write for this blog as a guest writer after that.
George Harrison said it best: "All things must pass. None of life's strings can last. So, I must be on my way and face another day."
Above are photos -- taken by Sr. Lory herself! -- of my bicycle and me with my bicycle. I have driven this wonderful piece of eco-technology now for two years from Lakeview, through City Park, across Bayou St. John, down De Saix Blvd., and into Gentilly to our school. Yes, it was the long and winding road.
The coldest day I rode my bike was in January of 2008; it was 19 degrees F with a windchill much lower. I actually saw ice on the side of the street in New Orleans near Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park. The hottest days were in June of this year with many weeks of extreme heat -- especially when I was on special assignment to Incarnate Word Catholic Charities in Carrollton. Then the temperatures were well over 100 degrees F.
I prefer the cold, even 19 degress, to the heat.
We did a lot of great things this year, and we did a lot of wonderful things last year too.
Thank you for following this blog. Please continue to do so in the future.
-- Adrian

1 comment:

Bill Edwards said...

And thank you, Adrian, for all the hard work you put into creating this blog and all the creative activities you did with the students.
Billy