Monday, July 13, 2009

Our New GED Graduate -- Carlen Foster




Here's some great news !
We just found out that our student Carlen Foster just passed his GED exams, so he will now receive his high school equivalency diploma, signed and sealed by the state of Louisiana.
This is really wonderful. Here he is in the photo with Sr. Lory (left) and Sr. Kathleen.
As you may recall Carlen wrote a very moving essay recently for our blog about his belief in Jesus.


Carlen visited our school today and he will be a part of the GED graduation ceremony which (we expect) will occur at Loyola next Spring. Congratulations!
Adrian

(Below is a re-printing of Carlen's article.)

Knowing Jesus Christ
By Carlen M. Foster

Being raised by my grandmother, she tried her hardest to instill in me the importance of knowing Jesus Christ. I never understood why she would force me to join her church every Sunday morning. Also, I didn't believe that having a relationship with Jesus was as important as it is. As I grew older there were a number of situations that took place in my life which made me realize how wrong I was.

In October of 2007, I was indicted on a number of federal drug charges. I was facing up to five years in prison for these offenses. I began attending church every Sunday while out on bond. One year after being arrested, I joined the church I was attending and decided to be baptized again. I had received my date on which I was to be sentenced for the charges I was accused of. It just so happened to fall on my birthday. At that point, I began to pray and ask Jesus to bring me through my tough times and asked that I receive a sentence with no prison time included.

Well, my prayers were answered; and my faith grew stronger.

On December 14, 2008, I gave my life to Jesus. I was baptized and was determined to never lose sight of the One who was there for me when ever I called on Him. That very night I was involved in a home invasion in which my family and a close friend of mine life was in danger.
I called on Jesus and once again, He showed His power.

I have only Jesus to thank for not only myself still being alive today but also my family and close friend as well.

It took me a long time to know and understand why my grandmother would force me to church on Sunday as an adolescent, but I now have the answer and the understanding.

No comments: