Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Letter From Billy Edwards, SVDP-ALC Volunteer Teacher




















Our good friend and volunteer teacher at SVDP-ALC, Billy Edwards of Tau House in New Orleans, is at his family's farm up north for the summer. He sent us an email with photos about his life, and it reveals that philosophy and spirituality can exist even while doing farm chores.
Below are some thoughts from Billy. Thanks for the words and photos, Billy.

Billy operates a spiritual center in New Orleans called Tau House. See www.tauhouseneworleans.blogspot.com/

"I was able to take the attached photo of me just when I had finished bailing hay this past week. Making hay is some of the hardest work we do here. But, for me at least, it is among the most rewarding. When I'm riding the tractor up and down all those rows I find myself thinking of, and praying for, many of the people I know including everyone at the adult learning center. You wouldn't ordinarily think of time on the tractor as prayer time but it is for me. I'm always amazed how God made all this stuff around me, and how the sun, the earth, water, soil, combine, react, grow, to produce the things we really need. Farming is the one industry without which none of the others could exist. Who cares if you can build a computer if you have nothing to eat?
My dogs sometime ride in the cab of the tractor with me - one of the pictures shows them (I hope it's not too dark). We raise Belgian Draft Horses. They're big like Clydesdales, twice the size of an average horse.
Billy

No comments: