Thursday, April 9, 2009

Service Project at Highland Park, Pittsburgh -- Literacy AmeriCorps




























































































































In the photos are many members of Literacy AmeriCorps including, Molly, Lauren, Robert, myself (wearing the blue coat in the partly obstructed photograph, Robert took that shot),
Caroline, Elizabeth, Kenneth, and others.
In our service project at the Pittsburgh National Conference, our Literacy AmeriCorps group helped with the environment at the Highland Park doing various tasks. The group I was with helped to save tress from being attacked by wild animals -- rabbits and deer -- who nibble at the roots of young trees. To protect the tress and not hurt the animals in the process, we had to place mesh fencing around the trunks of the trees. To do this we had to climb the hill -- or as I called it, "the mountain." I tried to climb the hill/mountain, but the trail was too muddy from the wet snow for me -- with my limited sense of balance-- and I keep sliding down. It was becoming rather unsafe -- due to my back problems and limited physical ability -- so, mercifully, they gave me another job. Now I could just cut the mesh fences from a large roll of mesh, attach wood stakes to them, and give these to more agile and younger people to take up the hill. (You can see a photo I took of Robert cutting the mesh fence above; Robert is the tall fellow.) So, this worked out ok, although I am still very sore. But it was fun despite the obviously cold weather conditions -- see all that April snow in the photos! I did not get hurt. And it was for a very good cause. Hurrah! We got things done ! despite the snow and the mud.
Afterwards, we all had pizza for lunch. That made facing the cold all worthwhile too.
-- Adrian

No comments: