Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Student Writing -- Sr. Silvia and the Rights of the Sick


(Below is student writing by Sr. Silvia, a nun from Mexico studying the English language at our school. She is a member of a religious order of nurses, the Sisters of the Servants of Mary. The photo is of Sr. Silvia at our school.
-- Adrian)
Rights of the Sick Person
By Sr. Silvia Rodriguez

My name is Sr. Silvia Rodriguez. I am a sister from the Sisters Servants of Mary. My ministry is to take care of sick persons in their own homes in New Orleans. Most of the people still suffer from Hurricane Katrina and the loss of their homes. I’m doing this for about two years now. I am a student from Mexico, and I learn English at the St. Vincent de Paul-Adult Learning Center in New Orleans. In my experience in this mission, I have found that every person has to be helped in every aspect of life!


To achieve this we need to attend five rights related to all dimensions of life: physical, psychical, intellectual, social, and spiritual. When the person gets sick, the first need that we have to look to is his physical right that means to take care of his body, to provide comfort, cleanliness, and relief from his suffering with proper medication.The second is the psychical right that we honor by attending to his needs. These include his need to express his own feelings, his need to share in confidence his anguish and fears, his need to be understood through companionship.The third is the intellectual right; on this dimension, we find that he needs to be informed about his illness, also he needs to know how serious it is or if he has the prospect to be cured.The sick person has also a social right. This means that he never has to stop being part of the family’s decisions, and to assist, if it is possible with reunions, meetings, celebrations, etc.And finally, but not least, the sick has spiritual rights. He needs to practice his faith, to receive spiritual support in order to find meaning in suffering. Also, he needs to have some moments of silence for prayer.To have respect for the rights of the sick, we can help them to feel confident, to confront their inevitable situation.


To me it is a privilege to be part of these sacred moments when my brothers and sisters are cross because these moments are very difficult for them and their families. From these moments, my life becomes very blessed and every day I give thanks to God for the gift of my mission.

No comments: