Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day -- Lake Isle of Innisfree


(Here's a nice poem from 1893 for us all to reflect upon for St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, 2009. It is the same one I put up last year when our blog was just getting started. Hasn't the blog grown!! The photo is of W.B. Yeats from Wikipedia Commons. Adrian)


Lake Isle of Innisfree
By William Butler Yates


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.


And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;

There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow;
And evenings full of the linnet's wings.


I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear the lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;

While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

No comments: