Sunday, February 15, 2009

Back to Antarctica: Pen Pal at McMurdo Soon






























(John Miller, our USAP Antarctic pen pal and great friend of St. Vincent de Paul's, has sent us some wonderful photos as he prepares to return soon to "the Ice." He is going back to Antarctica, this time to McMurdo Station. As soon as he makes contact with us again, we will let you know right here on this blog. So stay tuned. In the meantime, see the great photos. One is of John's brief visit to Afghanistan, before Antarctica. He will discuss this later on with our school. Another photo is of John and his family --Joshua, Johnathon, Rachelle, and Denise, his wife. Another is of his two dogs Teddy, a chow, and Chloe. The dogs did not go to Antarctica, by the way. I was told that sled dogs are no longer used much on "the Ice." The other two photos are of South Pole, including the now famous "Amundsen-Scott tent" photo.
In his last letter John spoke of the certificate of appreciation and thank you letters we sent him from our students and teachers from our school thanking him for his correspondence. Sarah Fischer, the program co-ordinator of Literacy*AmeriCorps also sent John a letter of appreciation from AmeriCorps for all his work. John responded via email, and here below is some of what he had to say.
-- Adrian)


Hello Adrian and students! I can't tell you what an honor it was to receive your letter and certificate of appreciation. I am sincerely humbled by your recognition and will proudly display both letter and certificate in my office at home, as a center piece for my college diploma, and others, that I have received over the years. As hard as I worked to get my Bachelors degree from the University, Reno, Nevada, I must say your recognition means oh so much more to me.
So many people have asked me why I would go to the Pole? I always knew God had a reason. Just to be a small part of your education and, by example, encouraging you to learn, was the best reason of all. Each of you has the potential for greatness that knows no bounds. I believe, as with our newly elected President, that one day, one, or more of you, will achieve success beyond your wildest dreams. And whether here, or in the next life, I will smile and say "I knew it!".
...please extend my thanks to Mrs. Sarah Fischer for her recent letter...

John

No comments: